NC PATH EHR Subsidy Program Expanded To Specialists

The North Carolina Program to Advance Technology for Health (NC PATH) is upgrading the existing EHR solution offered (Allscripts MyWay™), to Allscripts Professional™ Suite (EHR & PM). By upgrading to a more robust EHR solution, NC PATH is able to expand the program beyond physicians in primary care. As of February 7, 2013, the NC PATH Executive Steering Committee approved opening the program to specialty providers including: endocrinologists, cardiologists, pulmonologists, podiatrists, vascular surgeons, nephrologists, ENTs  and 0ther specialists who can demonstrate required quality improvements listed below (approved on a case-by-case basis).

Through the NC PATH program, eligible providers will receive the Allscripts Professional Suite EHR & PM solution, integration to NC’s health information exchange (NC HIE), and training and support resources. NC PATH subsidizes 85 percent of the program over a 5-year term and the provider is responsible for the remaining 15 percent of the total cost (totaling approximately $3,200 plus sales tax per provider license). Support in demonstrating meaningful use is provided for primary care providers through AHEC at no cost, but specialists will be responsible for costs associated with meaningful use support.

The current eligibility criteria still apply to specialists (must be in-network BCBS provider, independent of hospital systems, and without a certified electronic medical record). Specialists must also commit to pursuing measurable quality improvements in one of the following areas:

  • Diabetes
  • Hypertension
  • Tobacco cessation
  • Asthma
  • Cholesterol

 All NC PATH participants continue to:

  • Commit resources for a timely and successful implementation and post implementation objectives
  • Incorporate the technology into practice systems and day-to-day functions
  • Act in accordance with the NC HIE fair information use and privacy policies
  • Participate in NC PATH end-user surveys and annual user group meetings

 Interested providers can call (855) 611-7768 to learn more about participating in NC PATH or join an informational webinar by signing up at Contact: Kristal Shearin, NC PATH Program Manager – [email protected], 919-882-0324. Also, NCMS members may contact Director of Practice Improvement, Terri Gonzalez, who offers consulting servies to help member practices demonstrate meaningful use of this EHR system. Contact Terri via email or at 919-833-3836.


Share this Post